Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thanksgiving - Carb City!

Although belated -- and that is doubly true for the Canadian family members -- I hope everyone had as enjoyable of a Thanksgiving as our family did. We ate dinner with the in-laws, who own an art gallery in Barboursville, Virginia, about two hours from where we live.

A few weeks ago, Susan had a blog post about preparing and eating a roast from an elk that Todd shot. She wanted tips on how to photograph food, and that got me thinking. Thanksgiving is coming up ... I like food ... I like to take pictures ... hmmm ... maybe I can work on this project. I decided to take a picture at Thanksgiving, doing the following and seeing how things turned out: 1) shoot at a low angle to give the food depth and minimize the amount of bare plate visible; 2) include lots of color; and 3) use natural lighting. The result is below, presented in the style of a numbered group picture.


1 - Green beans
2 - Cheese grits (a tradition with the in-laws)
3 - Yams (Or are they sweet potatoes?)
4 - Stuffing
5 - Oyster dressing (another in-law tradition)
6 - Mashed potatoes
7 - Cranberries
8 - Sparkling apple juice
9 - Water
10 - Mother-in-law
11 - Corky (family friend and former Pave Low pilot in the Gulf War)

You can kind of see my father-in-law's art in the back, but the turkey (the food, not my father-in-law) was out of sight, hidden by the wall of carbs on my plate! Corky's apple pie was delicious, too!

If anyone has Thanksgiving or other photos to share, send them our way and we'll get them posted.

UPDATE

Susan and Karla say some nice things about the Thanksgiving picture in the comments. I am almost too modest to post them. Almost.

Susan:
Great Picture and it looks yummy! I didn't take any pictures...can you believe that? My batteries were recharging. =D
Karla:
Thanks for sharing this Robbie! I might try a "food shot" at some point just because you made such a nice picture! Love you!!

2 comments:

  1. Great Picture and it looks yummy! I didn't take any pictures...can you believe that? My batteries were recharging. =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this Robbie! I might try a "food shot" at some point just because you made such a nice picture! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete