Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Then and Now - Moss Mustache

Did I mention that I love getting surprise packages with family history to digitize? Well, today was my lucky day. Aunt Annette sent me some pictures (thanks, Annette!) for the flatbed scanner, some newer and some older.

One thing that struck me, though, was a picture reminiscent of one from an earlier project when I scanned some of Grandpa's slides. Grandpa's picture showed Grandpa and three of his kids wearing moss mustaches and beards.

That picture, taken in 1971 (at least, the slide was developed in 1971) was like this picture from 1982 that Annette sent of four of her kids wearing moss mustaches!

What a great family tradition! I don't know that I have ever seen a picture with my siblings wearing moss mustaches, but you can bet I will try to get one of my kids doing it.

A note about the image quality. Grandpa's picture is from a Kodachrome slide, which held up favorably compared to the later print, even though the print is more than 10 years younger.

TIP: Use the most original source material possible, preferably the original film or slides, when digitizing family photos.

UPDATE

GAP revisits moss mustaches and brings them into the 21st century!

No comments:

Post a Comment