Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Introducing Howard and Mildred

What good is a family history blog without a little family history? The best place to start is with my grandparents, Howard and Mildred Stutz.

Hi Grandpa and Grandma!

Guess what I know about this picture? Hardly anything! I recognize my grandparents, but there was no information associated with this picture about when, where, or what. I scanned this picture from Grandma's album, but there was nothing else about it to write down. This is probably as good a place as any to start accumulating the tips I've learned while archiving.

TIP: Record the context and any information about family pictures (who, what, when, where) when you save the digital image.

I will use this picture (and others) to demonstrate some of the techniques I use when digitizing family history. I also hope to learn more about this picture (and others) so I can place it in the historical context. It appears to be outside their home. Why is Grandpa wearing a suit? Perhaps the person who took the picture knows!

Oh, BTW, this is a drastically scaled down version of the original picture so that everything loads well on the blog. I always, always, always keep an original on my computer in the highest resolution, my digital negative. And, so should you.

UPDATE

Karla writes in the comments that she thinks there is a story behind this picture. "Grandma told me once and i cannot remember!" Does anyone know this story? This picture is from an album.

1 comment:

  1. yes, yes, yes there is a story with this picture. Grandma told me once and i cannot remember! Great tips on archiving! Grandma is still alive, let's ask her!

    ReplyDelete