Saturday, October 3, 2009

Stutzfamily Wiki, Stutz Barn, and Other Sites

The extended Stutz family has an extensive internet presence with many personal web pages and Facebook members. I do not keep track of everyone's daily activities, but I try to glance at the different sites from time to time. I also try to link to active personal web pages; if your page is active and you would like me to link to it, just let me know.

In addition to personal sites, there are several places to go for "bigger picture" Stutz family information. In particular -- and let me know if I am missing any sites -- the Stutz Barn and the Stutzfamily Wiki serve special purposes.

The Stutz Barn is used for the family's current events. On it, you can find (and post!) announcements, information, pictures, thoughts, or whatever else may be of interest to the extended family. It is a collaborative site with many authors. Want to be an author? Just ask around with the current contributors, and your will likely receive an invitation to contribute to the blog.

The Stutzfamily Wiki is used for the family's collective memory. As a wiki (just like Wikipedia), existing pages can be edited and new pages can be added by anyone. There is a learning curve, but it is not much steeper than learning to use e-mail for the first time (remember that) -- intimidating for a day or two, and then you know it for life. Check it out, contribute to it, and enjoy.

I hope Grandpa's Apple Press compliments these heavy hitters of family history. This site mostly has posts about digitizing and archiving old film, pictures, and papers, but I try to include some ideas for preserving today's history. Anyone can submit comments -- no registration necessary! -- and contribute information or questions, which are often used to update the original post.

Are there other sites I forgot to include? Let me know!

There is plenty of room for Stutz family members to contribute to these sites, start their own personal page, or start another "bigger picture" page. (In particular, a site that stores a large number of large family files -- pictures, scanned documents, audio and video recordings, etc. -- would be useful, at least to me.) There is also plenty of room for creating and preserving "analog" family history for the future -- scrapbooking, oral histories, art and photography, even rummaging through dusty boxes to discover hidden treasures.

There is room for everyone in this big Stutz family tent!

Finally, because I live far from Utah I miss out on many family activities; not all family communication is via 1s and 0s on a computer, after all. If there are off-line family history projects I am missing -- newsletters, book transcripts, awards, etc. -- it would be great to hear about them. For example, I appreciate Priscilla letting me know about the family tree she was working on several months ago. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment