Monday, October 19, 2009

Disposable Cameras and Reverse Winding

In a previous post I noted that that sometimes film can be shot with reverse film numbering.

"[T]he roll of film could have been shot backwards, with the the numbering running from largest numbers to smallest; I have seen this happen before on a roll from my wedding (I was very aware of which events happened first, despite the numbering on the roll), and it may be fairly common but unnoticed on old rolls."

I hadn't thought about this much ... until just this weekend.

My sons received disposable cameras at a birthday party last month and shot through the rolls pretty quickly. I picked up the developed film this weekend, and on both disposable cameras the film was exposed in reverse order. Which got me thinking, maybe this phenomena is related to disposable cameras (the boys shot with Fujis). Perhaps a disposable camera was used for the wedding pictures I previously noticed was in reverse order? We don't use disposable cameras very often.

The article "How Are Disposable Cameras Made?" says that disposable cameras use reverse winding so that the film is pulled into the cartridge as it is shot, making it unnecessary to rewind when finished.

Has anyone else noticed this? If there is a roll of film you know you shot on a disposable camera (Fuji or otherwise), can you tell if the numbering on the film is the reverse order of the order the pictures were taken?

This isn't an earth-shattering discovery, but it explains the reverse order of photographs shot with a disposable camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment