Friday, September 25, 2009

Rosies Surprise

Dave disagreed with a file naming decision I made in an earlier post. OK. Still, I would love to have more pictures (or a diary entry?) from this trip Grandpa took. Unfortunately, this is the only slide I have from 1984. I am curious, where is Rosie's Surprise? Or, perhaps, who is Rosie and what was her surprise?

Here is the image:

UPDATE

Susan spoke with Grandpa about the story behind this picture and related the following:

"Rob, when I described the slide to dad, he related the following... in the 1980's your grandpa was involved in a reclaiming project at a huge-giganitic coal-strip mine in the 4-corners area. Rosie, a navajo-indian, (who he remembers well),was employed to pick atriplex seeds. He also remembers taking a picture of her at the sunrise (or possibly sunset), out in the fields."

Thank you for the the update, Susan! I wonder, why was this place was called Rosie's Surprise?

1 comment:

  1. "Rosie's surprise"...Rob, when I described the slide to dad, he related the following... in the 1980's your grandpa was involved in a reclaiming project at a huge-giganitic coal-strip mine in the 4-corners area. Rosie, a navajo-indian, (who he remembers well),was employed to pick atriplex seeds. He also remembers taking a picture of her at the sunrise (or possibly sunset), out in the fields.
    As a side note, grandpa is totally happy you are doing this, and although he can't see very well, he is looking forward to hearing about the pictures...and this will be fun for him to try to remember the details...He loves what you are doing, and even got emotional about it. I will call you tomorrow and tell you more. But in a nutshell, he wants you to keep on keeping on, and he will try to fill in as many gaps as he can. I've been going down every saturday and will feed back to you what I learn. I am excited about it too. Thanks so very very much. Love susan

    ReplyDelete