Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Process

The process I have used so far involves primarily scanning family film, slides, and pictures into the computer. There are plenty of other ways to digitize family history. Most importantly, you need a healthy supply of source material. Many people in my family have generously shared their albums and negatives with me as source material -- thank you one and all.

You can also create source material by taking pictures of family and of important family places (homes, workplaces, farms, etc.) and things (cars, awards, creations, etc.). Another way to create family history is to record or write the oral history of family members, which can also be helpful in identifying people, places, and events in existing source material. Finally, you can "discover" family history by researching genealogy, church history, newspapers, public records, and other records. You may even find some family history in the albums and stories of extended family and friends!

Finally, the process should include a way to distribute the history to others. I am exploring ways to do this, but have been a bit stymied by the voluminous nature of the material. Currently, I send CDs and DVDs of images to family members for copying and redistribution. I have also looked -- without satisfactory resolution -- at web sites for posting materials. Suggestions?

UPDATE

Karla comments that she heard that "there is no permanent way to archive any material" and suggests that I write a book. A book would be great, and I would encourage everyone to take the archived material and write a book about some part of it. Hey, you can actively participate in this process, too!

Regarding permanency, my view is that creating a high-quality digital archive and widely distributing it to many family members will both help preserve the family history and encourage others to participate. Sure, nothing is forever. But, having many widely disseminated copies is more likely result in something being preserved. Now, I just need a website for the many gigabytes (!) of data I've archived.

1 comment:

  1. So, I met a lady recently that said there is no permanent way to archive any material. Even cd's/dvd's only have a life span of 5 (five!) years. I didn't know that.
    Books, imo, are definitely the best way to go. So...that's my suggestion. Write a book! (ok, in 20 or 30 years...)

    ReplyDelete