Monday, January 25, 2010

When Grandpa Went to Jail - Clifford Stutz (1982) (Introduction)

The previous five posts are the essay "When Grandpa Went to Jail" written by Clifford Noel Stutz in 1982. Clifford is Grandpa's (Howard's) brother, and the "Grandpa" in the story is Lorenzo Stutz, Clifford and Howard's (and others') grandfather. Lorenzo's story has also been told in two previous posts: the first was from newspaper accounts from the time and the second was from Grandma's (Mildred's) book All You Immigrants.

The story is written in these posts exactly as it was sent to me by Ellen. I broke it into five sections -- one section per post -- and gave each a title identifying the content:
  1. Story
  2. Poetry
  3. Diary
  4. Polygamy and the Penitentiary
  5. Final Thoughts
These title headings were my only contribution to the essay. Ellen also contributed a note to the poetry section about a Landeen ancestor's connection to Lorenzo Stutz.

Thank you Ellen for sending this story to me! It was especially helpful that it was already transcribed into an electronic format, making it easy to post and share with the family. If anyone else has stories transcribed or electronic versions of Grandma's books or other family documents, please send them along!

UPDATE

The posts were originally published 1-2-3-4-5 chronologically, but because GAP organizes posts in reverse chronological order they were on the blog as 5-4-3-2-1. Ellen suggested (thanks, Ellen!) reversing the order so they can be read 1-2-3-4-5. Fortunately, GAP can alter space-time, so we've changed the posts to make them look like 1 was published last (and, thus, appearing first on the blog, 5 was published first (and, thus, appearing last on the blog), etc.

Andrew writes in the comments, "Great stuff. I'll check my records to see if there is anything I can add." Thanks, Andrew!

Andrew then writes, "I have the patriarchal blessings of JR and Lorenzo. Also, do you want any Coombs stuff?" Oh yeah! We love getting patriarchal blessings, Coombs stuff, and any other family history information. Send it to GAP, Andrew, and we'll post it. And, thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Great stuff. I'll check my records to see if there is anything I can add.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the patriarchal blessings of JR and Lorenzo. Also, do you want any Coombs stuff?

    ReplyDelete