Saturday, December 19, 2009

Mystery Pictures 091219 - Ghosts of Christmas Past

Not much is know about these pictures, so any dates, stories, or additional information you can provide would be great. You can also send in other pictures for us to post.

This holiday shot with Grandma was featured in a previous mystery picture, but now it is cropped and has better color correction.


Angie, Lloyd, and lots of tinsel.


Susan, John, Ellen, Angie, and Lloyd.


Dave, Karla, Rob, and Stella. The picture had 1973 written on it, but I am guessing it is 1972. In either case, this is in Jacksonville, North Carolina. Does Santa hang a sheet at anyone else's house?


Rob, Karla, Dave, and Joe, circa 1975 and probably at Grandma and Grandpa's house in Provo, Utah.


Dave, Susan, and kids circa 1999.


UPDATE

Shari writes in the comments, "What a great castle. I remember that castle." Thanks for the memories, Shari!

I remember that castle well. It broke my arm when I was four. Because of that castle, my boys are not allowed to stand or to jump on furniture, lest they also break their arms. The boys like to joke about all they things they are not allowed to do because of injuries I received as a kid.
  • No running on ice because they might slip and crack their heads like I did in second grade.
  • No fake fighting or they might bloody each others' noses like, ahem, Dave did to me in second grade.
  • No bursting through things when you cannot see what's on the other side or they might crack their heads like I did playing bullfighter with Dave in third grade. (I was the bull; go figure!)
  • No throwing hard, non-toy objects at each other or they might cut their eyes open like, ahem, Shari did to me in fourth grade.
  • No running through the house or they might break their toes like I did in fifth grade.
  • No real fighting or they might chip their teeth like I did in seventh grade.
  • No riding bikes without helmets -- and this also applies to skiing and skating, which I did not do growing up -- or they might crack their heads and break their thumbs like I did in eighth grade.
  • No playing football or any other full-contact sport or they might tear their ACLs like I did in ninth grade.
  • No throwing basketballs at each others' faces or they might break their noses like I did in tenth grade.
  • No flag football or they might break their jaws like I did in twelfth grade.
There have been plenty of other injury lessons learned as an adult -- don't play squash with a bad ACL, stay aware of the lit vs. non-lit status of fireworks you are holding, when prying off old cabinets stand to the side, etc. -- but that would fill a book. Two things especially stand out as I look at the above list. First, I cannot imagine how much I cost my folks in medical bills as a kid (thanks Mom and Dad!). Second, I injured my head quite a bit. Here's to hoping my kids are less injury-prone than I am!

1 comment: